When it comes to regional NSW, the business community’s voice is heard loud and proud. Over the past month, we’ve had some great wins for you.
This includes a new employer hotline established by the NSW Statutory Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) which will provide important support for businesses across NSW in resolving workers compensation enquiries.
The Chamber provided 18 recommendations to the NSW Government to improve the operation of workers compensation. The establishment of a ‘business hotline’ was one of these recommendations.
Employers can now phone 13 10 50 and receive assistance to help them resolve issues and queries.
National Broadband Network
The rollout of the Federal NBN continues across the region. Many hassles have arisen for businesses, however following direct advocacy by NSW Business Chamber a dedicated small business response team has been established as part of the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. The dedicated NBN Small Business Hotline 1800 062 058.
And on a final note, the Australian Infrastructure Audit by Infrastructure Australia emphasises the need not just to deliver on the current commitment, but to continue exploring new opportunities to improve connections and better serve growing cities and less well-connected regional areas. Something which NSW Business Chamber has been advocating strongly for – particularly at this time of stagnating productivity and drought.
Grants and funding opportunities
We’ve taken the time to source selected grants to help your business prosper. These include:
- Small Business $30,000 instant asset write off – Australia Taxation Office
- Payroll tax rebate for apprentices and trainees, get funding between $750 and $4,000 when eligible – Apprenticeship Support Australia
- Meet a highly skilled facilitator to review your business’ research needs, receive up to $50,000 in matched funding – Innovations Connections
- Coles has launched $50 million to help small business innovation, grow and develop new market-leading products, technologies and processes – Coles Nurture Fund
- Bookkeeping and accounting getting you down? H&R Block are offering $5,000 in cash and $5,000 in services – Grants for Growth
- Financial incentives to reduce energy consumption including lighting, heating, hot water – Energy Savings Scheme NSW
- Championing Regional Communities, Qantas will provide financial, flight and marketing support to community groups and organisations to help further their cause – Qantas Grant
- Undertake a cyber-security health check, be reimbursed up to $2,100 – Small Business Cyber Security Program
- Expert guidance and grants to help commercialise novel products, process and services – Accelerating Commercialisation
Proposed changes to the Luxury Car Tax
In the 2019-20 Federal Budget, the Government announced that it would provide further relief to farmers and tourism operators by amending the Luxury Car Tax (LCT) arrangements.
Watch this space – if you’re an eligible primary producer or tourism operator you could be in for a nice refund. Proposed amendments will see a full refund of LCT capped at $10,000.
As always, if you want to talk business, have an opinion on what needs to be done to grow regional NSW we are always looking for authentic local stories to help our advocacy efforts. Please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0429 993 822 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joe Townsend – Regional Manager New England North West, NSW Business Chamber