We continue to push for greater water security throughout the Murray Darling Basin and are urging a near-term review of the entire plan.
The New England North West Economy is significant and solutions are urgent. With that in mind, it was pleasing to see the State Government commit and complete the Malpas Dam Upgrade to support Guyra, we will continue to press for other areas to also be funded and it was good to note that Tamworth received funding last week.
October is Small Business Month
The NSW Government is helping support businesses by providing the following events:
Skills Shortages a huge issue for NSW
- 1 October, Managing Growth
- 4 October, Recruitment hacks for small business
- 8 October, Managing Employment Law Risks
- 8 October, Using Break Even Analysis
- 15 October, Side Stepping Pay Compliance Risks for Small Business
- 15 October, Purchasing Business Assets
- 22 October, Managing Employee Performance
- 22 October, Starting a Business
- 24 October, Boost with Facebook in Tamworth
- 29 October, Guide to Letting Employees Go, the right way
- 29 October, 7 Steps to Business Success
- 31 October, Inspirational Indigenous Business Thought Leaders in Tamworth
The NSW Business Chamber recently released its Workforce Skills Survey. That survey found that a lot more needs to be done to skill-up our workforce, with over half of NSW businesses experiencing a skills shortage.
To help address the shortages, the Chamber is calling for:
- A doubling of the number of school-based apprenticeships delivered in NSW each year (currently Qld delivers almost 4 times as many as NSW)
- Industry-based careers advice for students and parents from year 9 for all schools across NSW
- Increased utilization of existing TAFE facilities and resources to boost training outcomes.
On a final note, the Commonwealth Government will be calling for pre-Budget submission later this year. To assist we would like to see your ideas and suggestions on improvements which you think the Commonwealth could deliver. Please email or call me if you have fresh ideas!
As always, if you want to talk business, have an opinion on what needs to be done to grow regional NSW we are always looking for authentic local stories to help our advocacy efforts so please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0429 993 822 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Joe Townsend – Regional Manager New England North West, NSW Business Chamber